Translate

2/24/2017

I Am Not an Astronaut | A poem

For Alyssa:


I have the sun -
So bright,
Shining,
The light of my life;
My favorite part of a soft morning,
Adding colors to my skies.

I have the moon -
A guide in the dark;
Mysterious in only the best ways;
A muse;
A calling,
Pulling me in like the tide.

I have each and every star -
Farther away than I expect,
Farther away than I want;
A collision and creation all at once;
Dying and living all at once;
Hot and cold all at once.

I have a love
That calls me into space
As if I know what to do there,
When I know nothing of the sort.

I know only how to look at the sky,
And dream,
And spew poetic nonsense,
And listen to what it all means,
And pretend I understand.

I have a love
That wants me to be an astronaut,
That wants me to traverse the universe
So we can be together.

I have a love
That I cannot have
Because gravity
And jealousy
Are synonymous.

No comments:

Post a Comment