Translate

6/10/2016

Salmon | A review

In the past month are so, I have had salmon at three different restaurants (Mother's Day, Wildfire, and Nonna D's). I love salmon.

All of these salmons were made differently, mostly safe and none too adventurous. So, if you're in the area and looking for salmon, I've got some recommendations for any eater. I'm not one for flavors on either extreme end of the spectrum (that is, I can't handle spice but I do need flavor). I enjoyed each of the salmon dishes, and finished all three before leaving the restaurants, and have rated each, in order of preference.

3. Mother's Day on Cermak (North Riverside) - Broiled Salmon:

The broiled salmon is served with rice, potatoes, and vegetables, succeeding a choice of soup or salad.


Overall, the salmon was good, and I would definitely order it again.

The rice was over-salted, but still edible; the potatoes were under-salted. Neither the potato nor the vegetable mix stood out over the salmon.

I chose to put the broiled salmon in last place because it was generally unmemorable, besides it being tender and enjoyable moist. On the Dysh app, a food-rating and -reviewing app for your phone, I did award the dish a 90/100.

RATING: 5/10 


2. Nonna D's on Roosevelt (Berwyn) - Salmone alla Nonna:

Salmone alla Nonna is served with a side of pasta, and a salad. The salmon itself comes over grilled asparagus, topped with tomatoes and onions.


The sauce is the best part. I don't know what it is, but I would have loved for it to be more obviously over the salmon; I dipped several bites of salmon in the salmon to bring out more of that flavor. The salmon was tender and thick, and very filling (or maybe that was the antipasto). Not one for tomatoes, they didn't get in the way, and were fortunately unnoticeable.

The side pasta had very little flavor, which was easily amended by Parmesan cheese and salt, available on the table. I found the asparagus to be cooked well, and enjoyed it, even though it didn't take in much - if any - of the flavor from the sauce.

You can also find this salmon on my Dysh profile, where I gave it a rating of 82. Here, I put it above the broiled salmon from Mother's Day because it was memorable, I would order it again, and the pairing with the antipasto would call me to return to Nonna D's soon.

RATING: 6.5/10

1. Wildfire in Oakbrook Center (Oak Brook) - Cedar-Planked Salmon:

The cedar-planked salmon is served with a choice of mashed potatoes, fries, broccoli, or rice.


This salmon is topped by a brown sugar-soy glaze, which was absolutely a high-lite of the meal. I didn't know what to expect from it, so I requested that the glaze be kept light, which was just fine. Next time, I do not plan for any special requests. The salmon is very tender, but does stick to the wood.

I ordered fries for a casual meal, but didn't eat many, as I was so engrossed in the salmon.

I did not rate this meal on Dysh. If I had, it would have gotten a solid 100. This is quite possibly the best salmon I have ever had.

RATING: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment